Float in any atmosphere with buoyant parts!
Check out the instructions. Example videos at our YouTube page, now updated with a video of using included crafts to float over Eve, Laythe and Duna: http://www.youtube.com/user/HooliganLabs
Requires the KAS Attachment System mod to use the airship anchor (which was removed, so the new Mk 2 ships use the grappling instead, read the warning below!) http://kerbalspaceport.com/0-18-2-kas-kerbal-attachment-system-v0-1/
The Airship to Jool uses many mods. It will require many more, larger envelopes to float in any other atmosphere. It is complex and may be a good idea to redo it. You could even use the new platforms in place of cumbersome wings, hurrah!
All HL experiments can be discussed at this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/23774-0-18-2-HL-Airships-Shields-and-Party-Experimentation-Center
Development thread (post bugs here!): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/23797-Airship-to-Orbit-and-Runway-Mod-Development
Release 1.7.1: Sharp-eyed THEcasualGamer156 noticed that the “Ludo Blimp” that came with this pack was broken with the new KAS. Fixed!
Release 1.7.0: Airships to Duna, Eve, Laythe and Jool have been updated to work with the new KAS parts.
- The grappling hook does NOT work like the anchor in the video! If you are moving too fast when it hits the ground then it will smash your ship into the dirt! Be careful!
- It is possible to have a kerbonaut go EVA out, grab a connector, and drop from it to go bungee jumping. To retract, switch back to the main vessel, then return to the kerbonaut to grab a ladder and get back on the airship.
- You may have to climb out onto the Airship to Jool’s ladders to reach the futhermost connectors.
- Check for preset action groups, or use your own.
- Saving and reloading with kerbonauts hanging from a connector may or may not result in a sudden disappearance.
- New rigid semi-transparent envelope, the Dodec! Designed for creating crazy new airship shapes that look awesome. Give feedback!
- Animations fixed.
- Fixed issue with losing control of throttle when other vessels are around.
- There still seems to be a bug with animated envelopes not deploying when unanimated envelopes are around.
- The airship plugin is now a Part Module! Each envelope is now a normal part with the HLEnvelopePartModule module running! So you can make anything a buoyant part. I tested it on the Stayputnik for fun.
- Everything else seems to work.
- I tried to add Tosh’s PID controller. It gave super accurate vertical velocity control but it would always crash the ship into the ground if you tried to land with an anchor.
- Attempted mid-air saving again with no luck. I talked to Mu about it and he wants to redo saving for 0.19 or 0.20, so I am leaving it alone at least until then.
Release 1.4.0 Notes (Many new requests from forum users)
- Kreuzung provided code so you can now see the “center of lift” from the blimps by clicking the button in the SPH or VAB!
- Added the original Ludo Blimp. It is compatible with the plugin, so pitch control and the rest is available.
- Added a Ludo Blimp and Airship to Jool to the Ships folder. The Airship to Jool… Well, just watch my video on Gas Giant Bungee Jumping before making any decisions about using that.
Release 1.3.0 Notes
- Inflatable parts no longer spam “Resetting inertial tensor”
- This means multiple inflatables now work with ASAS!
Release 1.2.0 Notes
- Reintroduced “Make Slow to Save”. The parameters of this can be adjusted in the .cfg file for each. This may be a way of making persistent airborne balloons easier to save.
- Removed debug text. Oops!
- Added reactor to HL Airship to Eve.
Release 1.1.1 Notes
- An astute tester noted that pitch control was broken…. again. It’s been fixed. Probably the fixed code from before was lost when my hard drive crashed.
- Reduced the drag on undeployed inflatable parachutes.
Release 1.1.0 Notes
- Included craft files for flying in three different planetary atmospheres! Requires the KAS Attachment System mod to use the airship anchor.
- Cut the drag for the Ray and Una envelopes in half.
- Noted that multiple
Release 1.0.3 Notes
- Moved parts to “Aero” tab.
- The “Una” and “Ray” parts are labeled that they will not or will work in Duna’s atmosphere, respectively.
Release 1.0.2 Notes
- Pitch control fixed!
- Fixed error spam by non-animated envelopes.
- Reduced drag on deployed inflatable parachutes. They now have drag like normal vessel parts and not like deployed parachutes. This can be changed in the .cfg file.
Release 1.0.1 Notes
- Added the “Ray” parachute for thinner atmospheres!
- Seems pitch control got broken somewhere, will look into it more soon.
Release 1.0.0 Notes
- Added animated inflatable parachute! Once the buoyancy is set to greater than 0, it will deploy if there is sufficient outside atmosphere.
Alpha 3.1.1 Patch Notes
- Compressors no longer needed! The envelopes automatically pick a leader to run the GUI, logic and calculations.
- Many 0.18 bugs squashed. This also has improved altitude control.
- Docking totally works!
Check out instructional videos here:
Release thread (post your screenshots or videos here!):
Development thread (contribute here!):
- Docking can result in multiple GUIs appearing. Save and reload from the tracking station to fix.
- Midair saving has been removed as it often resulted in physics stopping permanently.
- Be warned, switching from your craft while it is in midair may result in KSP destroying it.